Places to visit in Thimpu, Paro, Trongsa, Wangdiphodrong, Phobjika, Haa Valley etc are covevred in the package tour. Sightseeing details are given below for the knowledge of the visitors. Places of visit are as usual quite more than what can be covered in a day yet we try to cover the best places / Popular places. Keeping in mind the guest request we also try to advise our guest to go throuh all details and decide before finalising the package .
Thimphu is the capital of Bhutan and the largest town in Bhutan. It lies at an altitude of 2400 metres . All Government headquarters and centre for trade are located here. The following are the places of tourist attraction in Thimphu are as follows
Tashichho Dzong: Meaning “fortress of the glorious religion”. was initially erected in 1641 and rebuilt by King Jigme Dorji Wangchuck in the 1960s. It is one of the largest dzongs in Bhutan. The Dzong houses the throne room and office of His Majesty and is the seat of government and religious affairs in the kingdom. The northern portion of the dzong has the summer residence of the central monastic body and His Holiness the Je Khenpo (chief abot). It is open to visitors only during the Thimphu Tsechu (held in autumn) and during winter when the monk body moves to Punakha
National Memorial Chorten: This monument was built in 1974 in the memory of the late King Jigme Dorji Wangchuck. It was originally the idea of Bhutan’s third king, H.M. Jigme Dorji Wangchuck to erect a monument for world peace and prosperity, but could not be done due to his untimely death. So after his death, it was built to in his memory and to serve as a monument for world peace
Simtokha Dzong: Built in 1627, it is the oldest Dzong in the country. The most noteworthy artistic feature of this dzong is the series of over 300 finely worked slate carvings behind the prayer wheels in the courtyard which are centuries old. The paintings inside this dzong are believed to be some of the oldest and the most beautiful in the country
National Library: The National Library was established in the late 1960s and it houses an extensive collection of Buddhist literature mostly in block-printed format and some works are several hundred years old. There is also a small collection of books in English on the ground floor mainly on Buddhism, Bhutan, the Himalayan region and neighboring countries
Institute for Zorig Chusum: Commonly known as the Painting School is an institute established primarily to preserve and promote Bhutan’s unique artistic tradition which played a vital role in moulding its distinct heritage. The Institute offers a six-year course on the 13 traditional arts and crafts of Bhutan and on a visit one can see students learning the various skills taught at the school
National Institute of Traditional Medicine: The Institute was established in 1967 as a center for indigenous medicines and practice. In olden times, people primarily relied on the indigenous medicines to cure their illness. The Institute also serves as a training school for traditional medicine practitioners.
The complex is closed to visitors due to considerations of hygiene, but one can still walk around and view it from the outside
Changangkha Lhakhang: This temple is one of the oldest in the Thimphu and was built in the 12th century by Nyima the son of Phajo Drugom, the founder of Drukpa school of Buddhism in Bhutan. The temple is highly revered by the Bhutanese especially because new born babies are normally brought here to seek blessings from the deity
Dechen-phodrang : This is the site of Thimphu’s original Tashicho Dzong until 1772 and was named “Do Ngon Dzong” meaning the fortress of the Blue Stone. Today, it houses the monastic school where novices are taught before they go for higher Buddhist studies. The monastery contains paintings of the 12th century which are being restored for preservation
Wangdi-tse Monastery: This monastery is located further uphill towards the west of Dechenphodrang. It was founded in 1750 by 8th Desi Tenzin Rabgye and houses some ancient stupas made of sandal wood. One can take the natural trail walk from the BBS tower at the hill overlooking Thimphu valley to this monastery.
Folk Heritage Museum & the Textile Museum: These museums, both of which opened in 2001, provide fascinating insights into Bhutanese material culture and way of life and is a ‘must see’ when in Thimphu.
It lies in Western Bhutan at an elevation of 2280 m. As the only airport is located here, it is the gateway into this mystical kingdom. The main tourist attractions in Paro are:
Taktshang: or “Tiger’s Nest” is one of the most famous places to visit in Bhutan and one of the holiest sites in Bhutan. It is perched on a steep granite cliff at 2950 metres overlooking northern paro valley. The place is especially venerated because of its association with Guru Rimpoche and is believed that more merit is gained if we meditate even for a minute in Tasktshang than many months in other places. The main temple was built in 1692 and the temple was badly damaged by fire several times with the most recent one being in 1998
Rinpung Dzong: or “the fortress of the heap of jewels” was built in 1646 by Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal to defend the Paro valley from Tibetan invasion and presently it serves as central monastic and administrative seat of the district of Paro. It is one of Bhutan’s most impressive and finest examples of Bhutanese architecture. It is different for other Dzongs in Bhutan as it is in a square and the “utse” (central tower) is surrounded by the outer structure. The dzong houses one of the most sacred
“Thongdrol” (meaning religious banner) about 20 square metres and is displayed only once a year during the Paro Tshechu (annual festival). The third king of Bhutan was crowned in this Dzong
Nya-mey Zam: or “the bridge with no fish” is the bridge that connects Paro town to the dzong. It is one of the finest specimens in Bhutan and locals believe that if one sees a fish in the river, it is an ill omen. The earlier bridge which could be folded during war was washed away by flood in 1969
Ta Dzong: Strategically located on a hill above the dzong and built in 1649 is the Ta Dzong. “Ta”means to see/watch and “dzong” means fortress. This monument served as a watch tower to the Paro Dzong. There is said to be an underground tunnel that leads to the water supply below. The structure was converted to the National Musuem in 1968. Ta Dzong holds a fascinating collection of art, relics, religious thangkha paintings, exquisite postage stamps, coins and handicrafts and a small natural history collection
Dungtse Lhankhang: This temple was built by a famous Tibetan saint popularly known as Changzampa or the iron bridge builder in 1421. It is the only temple of this kind in Bhutan. It is in the form of a stupa and it contains some of the rarest and unique frescoes paintings in the region. The paintings are unique also because they depict the progressive stages of tantric Buddhist philosophy as well as the most important deities and figures of Drukpa Kagyu School of Buddhism.
Drukgyel Dzong: “fortress of the victorious Drukpas” was built in 1649 to celebrate Bhutanese victory over the Tibetan invasions . What stands a mere tourist spot today was once western Bhutan’s most strategic fort from which many Tibetan invasions were repulsed. Under the leadership of Zhabdrung, Bhutanese fought 12 battles with the Tibetans in different places with one being in this particular place. It was destroyed by fire in 1951, and the towering outer walls and central tower still remains an imposing sight. On a clear day, there is a splendid view of Mt. Chomolhari from the approach road to this place
Kyichu Lhakhang: Consists of twin temples and the older one is one of the 108 temples built by King Songtsen Gampo of Tibet in 659 AD. This temple is deeply venerated for its antiquity and the role it plays in Bhutan History. The construction of this temple and Jampa Lhakhang in Bumthang marked Bhutan for the first time on Buddhist map. The temple contains one of the most sacred statues of the country – the jowo which is the image of Buddha at 8years and is similar to the one which is present in the Jokhang temple in the Potola Palace in Lhasa, Tibet
Kila Gompa: It is a nunnery about an hour’s walk from Chele-la, down a path through pine forest.. The gompa is nestled in a craggy patch of rock on the mountainside below Chele-la pass. Buddhist nuns spend their days in religious studies, prayer and meditation
Druk Choeding: This is an ancient temple located right in Paro town. It was built in 1525 by Ngawang Chhogyel, one of the prince-abbots of Ralung in Tibet, and an ancestor of the Shabdrung, Ngawang Namgyal
Extra Point – Chele La Pass Excursion
Chele La Pass at over 13,000 ft to the west above the Paro Valley is the highest road pass in the country and has amazing views of the Himalaya and most significantly the magnificent Jhomolhari, Bhutan's most sacred peak at over 22,000 feet. It is a Two hour’s drive from the valley floor in Paro to the pass. It can be ridden on a mountain bike but the climb is a long one. It is great fun to free wheel down either into the Haa Valley on the other side of back to Paro.
Punakha is located at an alleviation of 1250 meters and played a very important role in history. It had been the capital for over 300 years. The places to visit in Punakha are:
Punakha Dzong: is the second oldest dzong in Bhutan and was built in 1637. It is strategically located at the junction of the Pho Chu (Male River) and Mo Chu River (Female River). The dzong is still the winter residence for the central monk body and every year His Holiness the Je Khenpo and the central monastic body move to Punakha in winter and Thimphu in summer. The dzong houses some very sacred religious objects such as the “Ranjung Kharsapani” which is considered one of the most sacred relics in Bhutan. It was brought to Bhutan by Zhabdrung and caused many invasions by the Tibetans in olden times. The dzong also has the embalmed body of Zhabdrung preserved in the Machen Lhakhang and is closed to all people except His Majesty and His holiness the Je Khenpo. There is also a set of 108 volumes of the Kanjur (words of Lord Buddha) written fully in gold. Historically, this dzong is important because it is the place from where monarchy started in Bhutan. The first king was coronated in this Dzong
Khamsum Yulley Namgyel Chorten: This Chorten (stupa) lies to the west of the Mo chu river and is perched high on a strategic ridge 7 kilometres from Punakha. This Chorten is unique and the only one of its kind in the world. It is an splendid example of Bhutan’s fine architecture and artistic tradition. Her Majesty the Queen (Mother of the present king) was the patron of this monument. This stupa was built to help remove negative forces and promote peace, stability and harmony in the world and for the well being of our king and the people.
Located south of Punakha is Wangduephodrong and lies at an altitude of 1350m. The higher reaches of the Wangduephodrong valley provide rich pasture land for cattle and this valley is famous for its fine bamboo work, stone carvings, and slates. Places of interests in Wangdue are:
Wangduephodrong Dzong: It is the highlight of the last town of western Bhutan. It was built in 1638 and is perched on a spur above the confluence of the Punakha Chu and Dang Chu rivers. It played an important role in our history because the location of this Dzong commends an impressive view over both north-south and east-west highway. The Dzongpon (governor of the region) was the third most powerful in Bhutanese history after the Tongs and Paro Penlop.
Gangtey Gompa / Phobjikha (3,000m/9,845ft): Another highlight of Wangdue is the beautiful Phobjikha Valley or “the valley of black necked cranes”. This valley is the winter home of black necked cranes that migrate from Tibet. This valley is one of the most beautiful and scenic ones in Bhutan. On the slope overlooking the valley is the Gangtey monastery built in 17th century and is one of the oldest and biggest monasteries of the Nyingma (red hat sect) school of Buddhism.
Chendebji Chorten: En route to Tongsa is the Chendebji Chorten, patterned on Kathmandu’s Swayambhunath Stupa, with eyes painted at the four cardinal points. It was built in the 18th century by Lama Shida from Tibet to cover the remains of an evil spirit that was subdued at this spot
Tongsa Dzong: Built in 1648, it was the seat of power over central and eastern Bhutan. Both the first and second kings of Bhutan ruled the country from here. The dzong is a massive structure with many levels, sloping down the contours of the ridge. Because of it’s highly strategic position and being on the only connecting route between east and west, the Tongsa Penlop (the Governor) was able to control effectively the whole of the central and eastern regions of the country during olden times
Ta Dzong: This watchtower guarded Tongsa Dzong from internal rebellion in olden days. This “Tower of Trongsa” has now been converted into a high-end museum dedicated to the Wangchuckdynasty. It has two lhakhangs and 11 multi-layered galleries displaying ceremonial and personal belongings of Bhutan’s monarchs and the royal family, as well as priceless treasures from Bhutan’s past.
Haa Dzongkhag lies along the western border of Bhutan. To the northwest it is bounded by the Tibet. To the southwest it is bounded by Samtse Dzongkhag, to the southeast by Chukha Dzongkhag, and to the northeast by Paro Dzongkhag.
Local historians maintain that two important temples in Haa district, the Black Temple and the White Temple were built at the same time as Kyerchu Temple in Paro in the 7th century AD. The two temples can be found near each other at the sacred site known asMiri Phunsum, or "The Three Brother Hills." A third temple, Haa Gonpa, was built at further up the valley at the site where a lame pigeon, actually a bodhisattva in disguised form, was found by a local farmer who was drawn to the spot by a mysterious fire seen on several successive nights and by the unexplained sounds of oboes and trumpets (musical instruments closely associated with Bhutanese and Tibetan monasteries).
During the 10th day of the 11th month of the Bhutanese calendar (see Tibetan calendar) liturgical ceremonies worshipping Amitabha Buddha are held at Haa Gonpa temple
This broad valley at an altitude of 2700m contains early historic and legendary traditions of Bhutan. This lovely valley is the religious heartland of the nation and home to some of its oldestBuddhist temples and monasteries. Tales of Guru Padmasambhava and the tertons (“religious treasure-discoverers”) still linger in this sacred region
Jakar Dzong: Constructed in 1549 by the great grandfather of the first Shabdrung, the dzong was initially built as a monastery. It was upgraded in 1646 after Zhabdrung firmly established his power. Jakar Dzong is now used as the administrative center for Bumthang valley, and also houses the regional monk body
Jambey Lhakhang: This temple was built in the 7th century by the Tibetan king, Songtsen Gampo. It is one of 108 monasteries which he built to subdue evil spirits in the Himalayan region. Its present architectural appearance dates from the early 20th century. This temple is considered one of the most sacred ones in Bhutan and the main altar has the jowo which is the image of Buddha at 8years and is similar to the one which is present in the Jokhang temple in the Potola Palace in Lhasa, Tibet
Kurje: Located further along the valley, Kurje Lhakhang comprises three temples. The one on the right was built in 1652 against the rock face where Guru Padmasambhava meditated in the 8th century. This place considered to be the most holy and also historically significant as Buddhism in Bhutan started from here.Three to five minute up from the gate is the “Drup-chu” or holy water and is considered the holiest water in Bhutan
Tamshing : Located across the river from Kurje Lhakhang, is the temple founded in 1501 by Terton Pema Lingpa the famous treasure discoverer. There are very old religious paintings around the inner walls of the temple. There is also an iron jacket made by the great tertoen himself and at your visit you would probably come across pilgrims circulating the main altar with the jacket as it is believed to wash away sins
Koenchog Sum Lhakhang: located few minutes from Tamshing is this temple and it dates back to 7th century. This temple is famous for its giant bell which bears an antique inscription. Legends say that the bell was stolen from a Tibetan royal family and transported to Bhutan. Tibetan armies were sent to fetch the bell back but because of its immense weight, the soldiers could not carry it and dropped it that made the crack which is still visible. The bell was taken to the national museum in Paro, but misfortune fell on the locals and the bell was returned to the temple. Besides the bell, the temple also houses statues of the three past, present and future Buddhas from which the temple derives its name- “Koenchog” means divine / buddha and “sum” means three.
Jakar Lhakhang: It is one of the oldest temples in Bhutan. Ashi Peldon, the lineage of Jakar built this in the 14th Century as her private residence but was later converted into a temple as legends say that Ashi Peldon found the main statue of the temple in the ground floor. This lhakhang houses some very fine paintings of the Goddess of Victory and Long Life
Wangdue Choling Palace: Built in 1658 by Tronsga Penlop Jigme Namgyel, the founder of our present monarchs, this palace is one of the oldest palaces in Bhutan. It was the seat of Bhutan’s reigning Wangchuk Dynasty and one of the finest examples of domestic architecture in the Country
Mebar-tsho: or “The Burning Lake” is one of the most sacred pilgrim sites in Bhutan. It is a narrow gorge in the Tang River and is believed to be the place where the saint Tertoen (treasure discoverer) discovered religious treasures hidden by Guru Padmasambhava. There is great legend of how the saint discovered the treasures.